DIY: Special Birthday Plate that Little Ones will Love!
DIY Birthday Plate Reminds Them How Special They Are!
Disclosure: There are some affiliate links below, but these are all products I highly recommend and/or used. I won’t put anything on this page that I haven’t verified and/or personally used. And, you are not charged for clicking!
Oh! The Challenges of Finding that Perfect Gift
Isn’t it hard to find just the right gift?
It seems I’m always agonizing what to give someone for their birthday, Christmas, housewarming, marriage, and more. Gift gifting is a year-round activity in my home and one that I love but take seriously.
I want the recipient loving their gift and, most importantly, know that I care.
And, this adorable birthday plate shows you care and more!
Where to Find DIY Gift Inspiration?
Gift giving is what propelled me into crafting in the first place. So, whenever I am searching for DIY gift ideas, I take a stroll over to my two favorite sources, Pinterest and FaveCrafts.
I know most of you are acquainted with Pinterest. (I’m there and pinning daily! Hey, check me out on Pinterest!)
But, did you know that FaveCrafts is also a great place to find DIY gift ideas ? If you’re a real die-hard crafter (like little ol’ me), you will love it! And, like Pinterest, FaveCrafts allows you to submit your extra-special creations to share with their viewers.
And, when they share mine, OMG I’m in heaven!
But, this time, surprisingly, neither Pinterest nor FaveCrafts inspired my craft. This time, my muse was Amazon.
Special Wood Burned Birthday Plate Makes An Adorable DIY Gift for a Little One!
Yep, I was shopping on Amazon when I stumbled on the wooden elephant platter. And, it was instant LOVE. I knew immediately that it would be just the gift for a baby shower or a baby’s first birthday. And, I had some of those coming up!
But, the crafter in me wanted to personalize it!
I had to wood-burn a cute little saying on the elephant’s belly. I just had to!
The wood burning would transform the elephant plate into a one-of-a-kind birthday plate! Wood burning would make an adorable plate even more so.
The child could use it on special occasions like his or her birthday or when they lost their first tooth or when they did something really sweet!
And, it would be a keepsake, a lovable reminder of when they felt extraordinarily special and important.
OK, I was sold! And, ordered immediately!
And, here is how this cute little guy was transformed.
Wood Burning Supplies Used to Make the Birthday Plate:
- Of course, you need that adorable Wooden Plate – Amazon carries them – those sweet, wooden elephant platters. They are perfectly sized for a kids meal. And, they have other shapes as well. It was so hard to decide! I ended up purchasing both the elephant and the bunny! But, I know I’ll be going back for the owl and the car too!
- Wood Burning Equipment – I feel like I’m always singing Colwood’s praises but they make an awesome Wood burning kit. It’s a professional, wood burning kit that heats up and down quickly. And, Colwood has a good variety of nibs that you can order as your wood burning skills improve. I’ve ordered a few but mainly use the three that come with the basic kit.
- Graphite Paper – Transfer paper of some kind is a must. I like this brand because whenever my tracing messes up I can easily erase the wood!
Instructions on How to Make the Birthday Plate:
- Download the word template and then print it on your home printer.
Birthday Plate wording
- Center the wording on the plate and place the graphite paper underneath it. With a pencil, trace the wording onto the elephant’s body.
- Take out your wood burning equipment and burn the words onto the wood. I used a heat setting of “7”, which is fairly hot. However, I wanted the lettering to stand out and the hotter setting turns the wood a darker color, which I liked. But, watch your fingers! I used the writing nib that came with the kit for the entire project. And, don’t forget to have a piece of wood nearby to test or clean your nib, when necessary.
Elephant Birthday Plate Being Wood Burned
- Last step is to write the gift recipient’s name and date on the back. Don’t forget this step!
That’s it! All that’s left to do is wrap the little guy in a cute vintage blue ribbon. It’s that easy!
I made a bunny birthday plate too! Isn’t she sweet?!
They are both so cute and they tug at my heart!
And, if you like wood burning projects, check out my post on wood burned spoons! They make sweet gifts too!
Happy Crafting and thanks for visiting!